Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The Virginia Hotel, on the south side of Ocean Avenue at Magnolia, opened on April 1, 1908, and was the social center of the area for many years. Originally named the Bixby Hotel, it was renamed the Virginia Hotel after a construction accident in 1906 resulted in fatalities. The hotel did not survive the stock market crash of 1929 and closed on October 10, 1932. The building was demolished after the March 10, 1933 earthquake. The architects were John C. Austin and Frederick G. Brown. The landscape architect was Belle S. Angier. Large date palms frame the entrance to the Virginia Hotel in Long Beach. Cars are parked on the circular driveway surrounding the palms and yucca plants edge the hotel's lawn to the left. The hotel has six stories and two wings with a total of 400 rooms.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 24 cm. Photographic prints
00077369 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Long Beach-Hotels-Virginia Hotel CARL0000079892 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/111404
Virginia Hotel (Long Beach, Calif.) Hotels--California--Long Beach Austin, John C. W.(John Corneby Wilson),1870-1963 Brown, Frederick G Angier, Belle S Long Beach (Calif.)