Caption: "Mississippi River Bridge. Rock Island to Davenport, Iowa. Sept. 25, 1934." View of the Government Bridge spanning the Mississippi River between Rock Island and Davenport, Iowa. Built in 1896 and designed by Ralph Modjeski, the bridge in this photograph was the fourth bridge constructed at the site, replacing earlier structures made obsolete by the increasing volume and changing character of traffic. This double-decker bridge connected the U.S. arsenal on Rock Island with Davenport, Iowa, and featured a double rail road track, a separate deck for automobiles, and a swing section. The bridge is still in use today.