This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Captured on February 8, 1914, this image shows a still young Sacramento City Hall, having just opened in 1912. It housed the principal offices of city government with the exception of law enforcement which were placed within the Hall of Justice at 813 Sixth Street. It was Mayor M.R. Beard's belief that, for Sacramento to truly place itself within the realm of progressive cities, law enforcement and other "unpleasant phases of police life" had to be placed in separate structures.