Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Photograph included in the Exhibit: L.A. Landmarks - Lost and Almost Lost. The Van de Kamp's Bakery headquarters, designed to resemble a 16th -century Dutch farmhouse, located at 2930 Fletcher Drive in Glassell Park, served as the headquarters for the chain of bakeries and coffee shops whose trademark "windmill" buildings and neon signs prevailed throughout mid-20th century Los Angeles. The building was designed by New York architect J. Edward Hopkins in 1930 in the Dutch Renaissance Revival style, reflecting the company's Dutch corporate image. Theodore J. Van de Kamp and Lawrence L. Frank were the owners and originators of the Van de Kamp Bakeries. Fondly known as the "Taj Mahal of all bakeries", the Van de Kamp's headquarters was declared city of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 569 in 1992. Exterior view of Van de Kamp's Holland Dutch Bakers, Inc. on Fletcher Drive near San Fernando Road. These are the new baking kitchens and general offices of the company, the world's largest of the diversified type. The new home was open for public inspection on July 29, 1931, from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m.
Van de Kamp's Bakery Corporations--Headquarters--California--Los Angeles Bakeries--California--Glassell Park (Los Angeles) Renaissance revival (Architecture)--California--Glassell Park (Los Angeles)--Dutch influences Streets--California--Glassell Park (Los Angeles) Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Glassell Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Hopkins, J. Edward