This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
David Lubin and his half-brother Harris Weinstock combined efforts in 1875 and opened The Mechanics Store and within a few years their outstanding stock, fixed prices and fair dealing placed them among the top merchants in Sacramento. In 1888 the pair incorporated their business as Weinstock, Lubin & Co. and began to build the empire that lasted for nearly a century.
Advertising had always been one of the company’s main tools and “The Store News” was a weekly eight-page store giveaway offering historical information about Sacramento as well as news about current and upcoming promotions by the locally owned and operated Weinstock-Lubin & Co.
A serial entitled “The Romance of Sacramento” by Christina Krysto chronicling the founding and growth of Sacramento began in the July 23, 1923 issue and continued through June 2, 1924. The historical saga included passages from early diaries and journals of pioneers while later issues focused on specific topics like banks and schools. Progress in