Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Various graves and vaults in the Old Calvary Cemetery, located on North Broadway (formerly Buena Vista Street). The 12 acre Catholic cemetery, also known as Buena Vista Street Cemetery, was blessed by Father Thomas Estenaga on November 3, 1844 and formally consecrated in 1866 by Bishop Thaddeus Amat. The cultural diversity of early Angelenos is reflected in the grave inscriptions written in English, Spanish, French, German and Italian. The cemetery, which was closed in the 1880s or 1890s, suffered from years of neglect, indicated here by overgrown weeds and broken tombstones, leaving graves vulnerable to regular desecration and theft. Eventually in the 1920s all remains contained in the cemetery were either reinterred at the New Calvary Cememtery on Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles or at other local cemeteries. Cathedral High School now occupies this site.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00073994 Los Angeles Photographers Collection; C.C. Pierce Collection S-004-875 4x5 CARL0000076849 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/126391
Old Calvary Cemetery (Los Angeles, Calif.) Cemeteries--California--Los Angeles Tombs--California--Los Angeles