Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. J.O. Ross Engineering Corp.'s history is connected to Parish & Bingham Co., a company founded in Cleveland in 1894 to produce bicycle, wagon, and trolley parts. In March 1923, Elroy Kulas merged Parish & Bingham, the Detroit Pressed Steel Co., and the Parish Mfg. Co. to create Midland Steel Prods. Co. This new company went on to become the largest producer of automobile frames, and five years later, a brake division was established. During World War II, Midland manufactured jeep and truck frames and parts for shells and tanks. Around the time this photograph was taken, Midland's Board of Directors initiated a program of diversification resulting in a merger with the J. O. Ross Engineering Co. In July 1986 the company was bought by Forstmann Little & Co. Aerial view of what appears to be the former Vail Field section of the Central Manufacturing District, where plant no. 4 of manufacturer J. O. Ross Engineering Corp. (center) is located. An unidentified road leads to the plant and three sets of railroad tracks run through the area. Photograph dated November, 1954.
1 negative :safety ;12 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives
Central Manufacturing District (Los Angeles County, Calif.) J. O. Ross Engineering Corp Industrial facilities--California--Commerce Warehouses--California--Commerce Industries--California--Commerce Streets--California--Commerce Commerce (Calif.)--Aerial views Commerce (Calif.) Aerial photographs