Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
The Woman's Club was originally called the Saturday Afternoon Club. The Woman's Club was "not only a study club, but it early became a potent force in the advancement of civic improvements behind which they always threw their enthusiastic influence in co-operation with the men. The Club was admitted to the State Federation in 1900 and to the General Federation in 1902. So influential did this organization become that its support was always sought in all public matters. It participated in the reorganization of the Chamber of Commerce and had four of its members placed upon the directorate of that body. Its members initiated the movement, which resulted in securing the Public Library and in fact were forceful elements in the furthering of all public affairs. The Woman's Club is and always has been one of the important forums of information and advancement of thought in the city. They bring before them noted public speakers upon all living subjects and thus become the intellectual center of the city. The Club threw the full force of its influence behind the enactment of the community property law, which the California legislature passed a few years ago by the aid of the women's Organizations. The work of the Club is divided into sections with a chair- man directing the work of each. Also there are numerous committees and committee chairmen to assist. The following is the list of the presidents of the Club: Mrs. John H. Bartle, who served seven years, Mrs. Annette Nye, Mrs. Emily Wheeler, Mrs. E. S. Armstrong, Mrs. J. G. Cross, Mrs. 1. N. Wheeler, Mrs. Spence Purcell, Mrs. A. B. Pottenger, Mrs. E. D. Northrup, Mrs. B. C. Davies, Mrs. Chester P. Dorland, Mrs. Clark Marsh, Mrs. George Monroe, Mrs. C. Taylor Renaker, Mrs. H. E. Kirschner, Mrs. S. E. Salisbury, Mrs. H. E. Kirschner, Mrs. A. J. Barnes, Mrs. J. P. Seymour, Mrs. S. O. Beckman, Mrs. J. P. Seymour, Mrs. Harry Andrews. " "History of Monrovia" by John L. Wiley 1927