Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Exterior view of Cole's Restaurant located in the old Pacific Electric Building at 118 East 6th Street, in the Historic Core District. In 1905, the Pacific Electric Building was completed. At ten stories, the new building was the tallest business building west of the Mississippi. At its peak, the Pacific Electric Railway was huge: 1,150 miles of track covering four counties and 900 cars; the Red Cars ran from 1901-1953. In 1908, Henry Cole opened Cole's P.E. Buffet inside the Pacific Electric Building. In April of the same year, he introduced the French Dip Sandwich as the new Daily Special at Cole's P.E. Buffet. In 1974, Cole's was designated by the City of Los Angeles as Historical Landmark Site #104. Cole's is the oldest continuously operated Restaurant and Bar in the City of Los Angeles. Photo dated: November 8, 2005.
1 photograph :col. Photographic prints
00064284 Gary Leonard Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; GPC_b37_f3_i11 CARL0000069232 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/119175
Cole's P.E. Buffet (Los Angeles, Calif.) Pacific Electric Railway Company Historic sites--California--Los Angeles Restaurants--California--Los Angeles Sandwiches Gary Leonard Collection photographs