Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. Though the origins of the company are somewhat obscure, it appears Western Pipe & Steel was organized in Los Angeles around 1907, and quickly began to expand its operations. In 1910 it established a factory in Taft, California for the supply of pipes and containers to the oil industry. In late 1945, Western Pipe & Steel Company was sold for a sum in excess of $6.2 million to Consolidated Steel of California; in 1948, it sold the assets for $8.3 million to Columbia Steel, a division of US Steel. Columbia Steel transferred the assets to a new division, Consolidated Western Steel, which was later merged into the parent company, U.S. Steel. Aerial view of Consolidated Western Steel, a subsidiary of U.S. Steel Corp., located at 5717 S. Santa Fe Avenue in Vernon; view is looking northwest. Slauson Avenue is middle left to bottom right; Santa Fe Avenue is bottom right to middle right; Alameda Street is middle left to upper right. Sharing this space is United States Steel Supply Division (white building, middle left), as well as numerous other warehouses. Photograph was taken for Consolidated Western Steel. Photograph dated July 5, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;11 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives
United States Steel Corporation Consolidated Western Steel Industrial facilities--California--Vernon Steel industry and trade--California--Vernon Industrial sites--California--Vernon Warehouses--California--Vernon Industries--California--Vernon Streets--California--Vernon Vernon (Calif.)--Aerial views Vernon (Calif.) Aerial photographs