This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This 1942 photograph shows the William Land Park rose garden, located in the southwestern section of the park, near the zoo. At the time of the photograph, it contained over 90 different varieties of roses. The pool, visible in the distant center of the photograph, formed the nexus of the garden which was comprised of concentric rose beds. All flower beds were watered by the park’s own irrigation system which was drawn from four wells that had been dug on site. The garden was removed with the expansion of the zoo in the late 1950s.