Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
An unidentified woman poses with pigeons; she has the birds on her head, shoulders and hands. Pigeons are a tradition in connection with Mission San Juan Capistrano; for generations people have sat on the cement seat shown in the background, and have fed the birds that have gathered in clusters. Padre Junipero Serra founded Mission San Juan Capistrano, the "Jewel of the Missions", as it is sometimes referred to, on November 1, 1776; it is the seventh of 21 Spanish Missions established in California by Franciscan Padres. Among some areas of interest within the Mission walls are: the early adobe barracks, Friars' quarters, cemetery, beautiful gardens, and the original Stone Church. The Great Stone Church began construction in 1796, was completed in 1806, and was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812. The Mission was secularized in 1833, sold in 1845, and was returned to the Church in 1865. May 5, 1937.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00068964 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 734 4x5 CARL0000072832 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/2356
Mission San Juan Capistrano Spanish mission buildings--California--San Juan Capistrano Church buildings--California--San Juan Capistrano Pigeons--California--San Juan Capistrano Women--California--San Juan Capistrano San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs