Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
On back "Sunol Adobe Market Street." Featured on page 7 of the book, "Santa Clara Valley: Images of the Past," with the following text: This adobe home was located on the west side of Market Street in downtown San Jose. It was associated with the Sunol family. Antonio M. Sunol arrived at Monterey and then came to San Jose in 1818 after having served in the French Navy during Napoleon's reigh. He invested in the New Almaden Quicksilver Mines and held various civic posts within the town government. Although it is not known which members of the Sunol family lived in this home, the tax records for 1851 show him owning two lots 30 x 20 varas wide (a vara was a Spanish measure, about 33 inches) on the west side of Market Street. In 1851 he bought Rancho de los Coches which comprised a large part of present-day Willow Glen and moved his residence to what is now known as the Roberto-Sunol Adobe on Lincoln Avenue. Lonus Street, near the Roberto Adobe, is "Sunol" spelled backwards.