Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
The massive 500-room Ambassador Hotel, designed by renowned architect Myron Hunt, opened for business in 1921 on the site of a former dairy farm. It occupied 23.7 acres at 3400 Wilshire Boulevard, bordered by 8th Street, Catalina Street, and nearly to Mariposa Avenue. The hotel served as the stomping grounds for a staggering list of Hollywood legends, heads of state, and an endless list of famous personalities from the 20th Century. It is said that as many as seven U.S. Presidents stayed at the Ambassador, from Hoover to Nixon, along with heads of state from around the world. A pivotal moment in world history happened in 1968, when Robert F. Kennedy was shot in a pantry off of the Embassy Room (and died 25 hours later), following his California Primary victory speech. The death of RFK coincided with the beginning of the hotel's demise. The Schine family had owned the Ambassador for about 50 years, until its doors were closed on January 3, 1989 after 68 years of service, selling for 4 million. The landmark hotel was eventually demolished between late 2005 and early 2006. An artist's sketch of the site plan of Phase 1 of a development idea for the Ambassador Hotel property on July 10, 1957, showing a deck over the lobby level and an office building on Wilshire Blvd. Shown are the existing and a new wing of the hotel. Daniel, Mann, Johnson and Mendenhall are the architects and engineers.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00055434 HeraldÂ Examiner Collection HE box 5051. CARL0000057367 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/20219
Ambassador Hotel Hotels--California--Los Angeles Buildings--California--Los Angeles Real estate development--California--Los Angeles Architectural drawings Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mendenhall