For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“Old guard room, Fort Hare.” Exterior view of a ruined building standing in a garden. Fort Hare was built in 1847, during the War of the Axe, on the Tyumie River next to the Lovedale mission. The fort enforced the new border changes dividing the Colonies from British Kaffraria. The South African Native College, now the University of Fort Hare, was built on the site in 1916. ❧ The Incehra mission, in the Eastern Cape, was renamed Lovedale ,1826, in memory of Dr John Love (1757-1825) and was later resituated on the Tyumie River in 1837. The mission ministered to the Xhosa speaking people and the mission became famous for its educational endeavours.