This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Authorized by War Department General Order 48 on August 24 1943, Van Nuys General Hospital opened in early 1944 to serve as both a general and debarkation hospital. It was soon renamed in honor of Brigadier General Henry Patrick Birmingham (1854-1932), Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital operated until 1950 and was acquired by Los Angeles City Schools a year or two later for the token price of $1.00. In 1953, Birmingham High School opened as a 7-12 grade school. Part of the high school campus was used as an air defense missile battalion headquarters from April 1956 to November 1968. Photograph caption dated May 13, 1950 reads, "Birmingham confab - Reseda meeting brings conference between civic-minded residents and Assemblyman Everett G. Burkhalter over Birmingham Hospital move. Left to right are Mrs. Ethel Watson, Burkhalter, Mrs. Elmer E. Ellsworth, North Hollywood; Oscar Bentz, North Hollywood; Robert Bailey, Van Nuys, and Mrs. Henry Holmes, North Hollywood."
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints