Title supplied by cataloger. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, designed by Swiss engineer Henri Bodmer, opened in 1963 and is a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The Tramway Valley Station, constructed between 1949-1963, was designed by Albert Frey and Robson C. Chambers and the Mountain Station, built in 1961, was designed by architect E. Stewart Williams. In 2000-2001, the Tramway updated its facilities and replaced the old cars with ones that rotate slowly, offering riders a 360° panoramic view. Photograph caption dated September 14, 1963 reads, "Each aerial car reaches a maximum height of 800 feet above the rocky crags and sharp precipices of the mountain face. This view, seen through a large window of a tram car, shows the rugged mountains adjacent to the tramway. Each ride lasts about 12 minutes."
1 photographic print :b&w ;29 x 36 cm. Photographic prints
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Aerial tramways--California--Palm Springs Mountains--California, Southern National Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks Canyons--California--Riverside County Chino Canyon (Riverside County, Calif.) San Jacinto Peak (Calif.) San Jacinto Mountains (Calif.) Los Angeles Herald-Examiner photographs Herald-Examiner Collection photographs Bodmer, Henri