Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Ilustration of lone redwood tree (the "Palo Alto") and lone rider on red ground with green and yellow border. "Palo Alto", "Palo Alto Pear Ass'n. Santa Clara,California, U.S.A." According to information provided by Walter Brown in 2012, whose uncle ran Brown Ranch: 200-acre Brown Ranch (1929-1940) was started by Alfred L. Brown and run by Walter George Brown. Sons Walter and George worked on the ranch, which employed about 30 people year-round (100 during harvest). They operated two locations - one near Great America, and the other near First Street. The two labels were "Out of the West" which they sold to Blue Anchor Fruit Exchange in Sacramento, and "Palo Alto" which was created after the Santa Clara Pear Association was established.