For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“The Ngeru Dispensary with the dispenser & some patients. Mr Justo Mieaia.” Exterior view of a medical dispensary, built of wattle and thatch, where patients have gathered with the dispenser. The Chogoria hospital had three static dispensaries, in 1949, situated at sites with out-schools. The dispensaries were manned by a dresser, a water carrier and a local employed as a wood splitter. The dresser was given simple training at Chogoria and given basic medical supplies to treat the sick. ❧ The image is from the collection of Dr Archibald Clive Irvine (1893-1974) showing the period from 1947-1961 at the Chogoria mission which was established near Mt Kenya, in 1922, and run by Dr Irvine.