Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Lynwood is a 4.9 square mile city, located in the southern portion of the Los Angeles Basin, in Los Angeles County. Its history dates back to 1810, when Don Antonio Lugo received a grant to a 29,514-acre tract of land, which he named Rancho San Antonio. On July 24, 1847 Don Lugo received a patent from the U.S government making him the undisputed owner of Rancho San Antonio. After Lugo's death in 1860, his five children inherited the ranch, which was equally divided between them. The families who first came to the Lynwood territory arrived in the late 1870s and early 1880s. By 1902, C.H. Sessions had acquired the title to approximately 400 acres of this land, and he established "the Lynwood Diary and Creamery", named after his wife's maiden, Miss Lynne Wood. In addition to the creamery, the Southern Pacific Railway had a siding here, called the "Lynwood siding". From 1904-1905, one of the lines of the Pacific Electric Railroad ran from Los Angeles to Santa Ana, passing directly through the middle of Lynwood. In 1913, 800 acres were opened up for 'suburban' home sites, and just 8 short years later, on July 16, 1921, voters approved incorporation of the city. The city was growing so rapidly, that by 1929, Pacific Electric had installed a P.E. Depot on the corner of Long Beach Blvd. and Fernwood Ave. The Long Beach Earthquake on March 10, 1933 caused major damage in Lynwood, with numerous buildings collapsing. Through the years, Lynwood has transformed itself from a colonial settlement, to a small farming town, to finally becoming a mostly working-class suburb in Los Angeles County, with the population growing by leaps and bounds. The statistics are as follows: 1921 (786 residents); 1930 (1,326 residents); 1940 (10,986 residents); 1960 (31,614 residents); 1988 (55,071 residents); 2000 (69,845 residents); 2007 (72,984 residents), and today, the current population stands at approximately 73,212. View 1 is of "The Splinter Building", a 5-foot-wide structure located on the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Imperial Highway in Lynwood. Some of the names on storefronts read: "Imperial Needlecraft Shoppe", "Mason-T-Mollie Pie Shoppe", and "A.L. Young - Licensed - Real Estate broker - Notary Public - Auto Loans". Two automobiles can be seen parked at an angle in front of the building.
1 photographic print :b&w ;13 x 17 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00079174 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Lynwood-Shops and stores.; N-000-896.1 5x7 CARL0000080798 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112014