Title supplied by cataloger. Though the origins of the company are somewhat obscure, it appears Western Pipe & Steel was organized in Los Angeles around 1907, and quickly began to expand its operations. In 1910 it established a factory in Taft, California for the supply of pipes and containers to the oil industry. In late 1945, Western Pipe & Steel Company was sold for a sum in excess of $6.2 million to Consolidated Steel of California; in 1948, it sold the assets for $8.3 million to Columbia Steel, a division of US Steel. Columbia Steel transferred the assets to a new division, Consolidated Western Steel, which was later merged into the parent company, U.S. Steel. Aerial view of Consolidated Western Steel (center), a subsidiary of U.S. Steel, located in the city of Maywood. Numerous other warehouses and neighboring streets are also visible, some of which fall within the boundaries of the city of Commerce. The perpendicular intersection in the foreground is S. Eastern Avenue and Slauson Avenue. S. Eastern Avenue runs from about the middle of the left edge of the image to the lower right corner. In the foreground is a building that vurrently houses the Los Angeles County Department of Public Safety, located at 5801 S Eastern Ave, Commerce, CA.
1 negative :safety ;10 x 13 cm. Photographic safety negatives