Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
In 1931 a new amphitheater, made of cast concrete, was erected to resemble the ancient architecture of the Holy Land for the purposes of the play performed there. The religious-themed Pilgrimage Play, written by Christine Whetherill Stevenson, was performed every summer between 1920 to 1941. During WWII the theater was deeded to Los Angeles County and converted into dormitories for servicemen. After the war, the play resumed until 1964, at which time it was legally ordered to close due to its religious content. In the early 1970s, the amphitheater was renamed after John Anson Ford, in honor of his dedicated and successful campaign to revive the facility. Ruins of the original Pilgrimage Theatre, shown a couple of months after an October 1929 brush fire swept over the hillside.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00071663 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Hollywood-Theaters-John Anson Ford Amphitheatre; N-000-605.5 5x7 CARL0000075129 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113968
Pilgrimage Theatre (Hollywood, Los Angeles, Calif.) Theaters--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles) Amphitheaters--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles) Lost architecture--California--Hollywood (Los Angeles) Mountains--California, Southern Debris--California--Los Angeles Hollywood Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.) Santa Monica Mountains (Calif.)