Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Color postcard image shows interior view of Wayfarers' Chapel. Narcissa Cox Vanderlip contributed the 3 1/2-acre site for the chapel, for which the cornerstone was dedicated on July 16, 1949. Lloyd Wright, son of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was hired to design the chapel which opened in 1951. Postcard printed on reverse with "RANCHO PALOS VERDES, CALIFORNIA / The Wayfarers' Chapel, near Portuguese Bend, represents a concept of worship found in writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, which relates religion to life in a clear and positive way. Designed by Lloyd Wright and built almost entirely of glass, the Chapel will eventually be enclosed by evergreen trees now planted around both sides." Also printed with "'Plastichrome' by Colourpicture, Boston 15, Mass, U.S.A.," "Distributed by 'Golden West' 2583 Maine Ave., L.B. 6 Calif.," "GW2136" and "Color by Geo. E. Watson Studio, L.B. 6." Date Built: 1951 Library has digital image only, courtesy of postcard collector Muriel Lafferty.