Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
1989-1155. In: [Scenes of Sacramento] [manuscript] / Eugene Walter Hepting. [Sacramento, Calif. : E. Hepting, 1938?], Vol. A, leaf 42. View from across the street with 3 buildings dominating the view; wagons pulled by horses in the lower left and on right side; on left corner cut off by photo is a 2 story Romanesque-style building with the word "Records" on its flat roof; 1st floor has large round arch; 2nd floor has round-arched windows with a lintel at top;to its right on the corner is a Greek temple-style building with six Ionic columns supporting an entablature and a triangular pediment;perpendicular from this is a 3 story building with a covered porch on 1st floor and windows on 2nd and 3rd floors with a flat roof. Walter Hepting was born in Sacramento (father was from Switzerland, mother from Germany). Worked for the State Treasurer's Office. Was amateur historian, collected old photographs and images of Sacramento. "Building on the right was the Sacramento County Court House and former State Capitol building, the building on the left was the Hall of Records... The corner-stone for this building was laid on September 27th, 1854, by Grand Mastor of Masons, W. H. Howard and was the first corner-stone laid by a Grand Lodge of Masons in California. The building was completed January 1855 at a cost of $240,000 and rented to the State of California for its state offices for an annual rental of $12,000 for the years of 1855 to 1869 when the new Capitol Building was complete and occupied." Reproduction of original from 1897.
Photographs. Nonprojected graphic
1 photographic print ; 9 1/4 x 11 in.
Courthouses--California--Sacramento Capitols--California--Sacramento Buildings--California--Sacramento Streets--California--Sacramento Sacramento (Calif.)--Photographs Photographic prints Reproductions