For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
"Dressers and Nurses (Miss Milligan, Dr Philp, Mr Stevenson)". Group portrait of dressers outside of hospital.The Tumutumu mission (in the Kenia sphere) was administered to the Chuka and Mwimbi tribes, two sections of the Kikuyu people. The Chuka numbered about 15,000 and the Mwimbi numbered about 25,000. In 1908 Kabandango was the biggest chief in the Chuka district and Kianbati the biggest chief of the Mwimbi district. Tumutumu was established in 1908 by Rev. Henry Scott and Dr. John Arthur and is situated in the Central Highlands of Kenya, 130km north of Nairobi. The mission was set up as a clinic to deal with primarily Yaws (ulceration) and Tuberculosis was also common. In 1933 average hospital attendances was 15,000 with 1,000 annual injections to treat yaws. The effects of famine and starvation were also readily dealt with. Hospitals started by the missionaries at both sites have thrived and continue to play a vital role in modern Kenyan society.