This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Shown on January 2, 1930, at 809 J Street, is the McClatchy Realty Company. The McClatchy family was a powerful force in Sacramento, with widespread interests. Charles and Carlos managed the publishing side, while Valentine and Harold held down the property end. The building and loan company was started in June 1927 with the intent of spurring, in the words of Harold, “the advancement of Sacramento and the assistance of those in this city who would build their own homes.” Upon opening, the McClatchys also emphasized the need for Sacramento to have locally-based companies of this nature, with their business being the first. To the left is the California Mutual building, and to the right are the offices of longtime developer and land speculator Daniel Carmichael.