This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured on March 8, 1929, and just days after opening, is the façade of the 148-room Hotel Ramona, at the southeast corner of Sixth and J streets. The Spanish Mission-style structure was built with five stories and represented an investment of 250,000 dollars by its owner Harvey Rasmussen. The main floor was also built to accommodate seven stores, each measuring 17 by 54 feet in size. The hotel’s namesake is the famous Native American heroine of Helen Hunt Jackson’s novel, “Ramona.” Previous to the Ramona was the much loved department store of Charles P. Nathan and Sons, founded in 1869. It was felled by fire in 1920.