Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Madame Bonnore's name first appears in the early 1870s San Jose City Directories as a practicing "Ladies Physician." At one time her office was located in the Hensley House at the northwest corner of Market and Santa Clara Streets. Several different addresses were listed over the years; between 1884-1888 she was listed as a "Magnetic Physician." The mainstay of her practice was a magnetic bathing fluid and an electro-magnetic liniment that she had developed. She also prepared her own cough syrup and tonic pills. Bonnore is pictured in the late 1860s or early 1870s. Her dress is made of an unidentified dark fabric with a front button bodice opening, dropped shoulders, piped seams and trimming on the sleeves, and a stand-up collar with white lace frills. She wears a chain with a medallion and brooch pinned at the collar. The elaborate braids and chignon was the modest hairstyle adopted for her profession. (Description taken from "Pioneer Women of Santa Clara County: Selections From the Permanent Collection," by Helen Kuesel and Milita Rios-Samaniego, San Jose Historical Museum, 1991)
Women French--California Physicians Pioneers Nineteenth century (LCSH) Portrait photographs Bonnore, Louise A