For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Ladies Mission Home Gujrat.” Exterior view of a building with a large veranda running around it and built in a traditional style. The Women’s Association for Foreign Missions sent their first missionary, Miss E. S. Paterson, to Gujrat in 1888. Unfortunately she had to return home after two years due to ill health. Misses Helen and Mary Mackichan and Miss Hannah Stephenson continued to run the mission with its emphasis on female education and zenana work. Miss Russell, M.B. was responsible for establishing a thriving medical branch and the Dow Memorial Hospital, funded by the Misses Dow of Montreal in memory of their mother, was opened in Gujrat in 1899.