Title supplied by cataloger. The $24,000,000 building, designed to last approximately 250 years, is an imposing two-block-long structure. U.S. Chief Justice Warren broke ground for the building on March 26, 1954, and was again on hand October 31, 1958 when the edifice was dedicated. Italian marble covers most of the walls and the 850,000 square feet of floor space, along with more than 50,000 cubic yards of concrete. The structure is actually two buildings, with a 6-inch space between the east side, which will be used by the superior courts, and the west side, which will be devoted to the municipal courts. The building is six stories high, but the municipal court side, with its foundations at a higher level, rises three stories above the more massive superior court end. The structure was designed by a corporation of associate architects: J.E. Stanton, Paul Williams, Adrian Wilson and Austin, Field & Fry. The County Courthouse officially began functioning at 9:00 am January 5, 1959. California artist Donal Hord designed the bas-relief over the Hill Street entrance depicting Justice. Looking west towards the Los Angeles County Courthouse (later renamed the Stanley Mosk Courthouse) from the Hall of Records (later demolished). Dated March 30, 1959.
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm. Photographic color slides
California.--Superior Court (Los Angeles County) Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1958-) Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Civic centers--California--Los Angeles Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Office buildings--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Automobiles--California--Los Angeles Parking lots--California--Los Angeles Hill Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.) Slides Stanton, J. E Wilson, Adrian Williams, Paul R.,1894-1980 Hord, Donal,1902-1966 Austin, Field & Fry