Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
The front door of the restaurant stands on a corner of the triangular shaped building with an elaborate five-tiered roof; sign above the door reads:"Golden Pagoda" some foliage; a cocktail lounge to the left and a gift shop to the right. The original Los Angeles Chinatown began in the late 1800s as a small settlement on Calle De Los Negros, between El Pueblo Plaza and Old Arcadia Street, and expanded east across Alameda Street. Suffering from absentee landlords and a lack of municipal services and code enforcement, the area was in decline when the city forced residents out and demolished it to make way for the new Union Station Terminal. Two new Chinatowns were created: China City, a tourist attraction, complete with rickshaw rides, brainchild of Christine Sterling, founder of Olvera Street; and New Chinatown, a business and residential neighborhood created and funded by the Chinese community under the leadership of Peter Soo Hoo. Both opened to great fanfare in 1938. The five tier Golden Pagoda, located at 950 Mei Ling Way, was built in 1941 and stands fifty feet tall. It is now Hop Louie's Jade Pagoda. On back:"In a setting in Old China, with shrines, lily pools, and courts, the Chinese have gathered the art treasures of the Orient. Here is offered silks, antiques, jewelry and thousands of beautiful souvenirs. The delicacies prepared in the fine Chinese restaurants are fit for a Mandarin, and delight the palate as well as the eye."