This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Henry Van Wolf, born in Bavaria in 1898, was a prominent sculptor in the San Fernando Valley. Moving to the San Fernando Valley in 1944, Van Wolf sculpted many statues and busts on display throughout the Los Angeles and elsewhere in the United States. He founded the Valley Artists Guild, also known as VAG in 1948. Van Wolf died in 1982. Photograph caption dated October 19, 1957 reads "Van Wolf pauses from labors on 2,000-pound bronze doors which he has just completed for St. Nicholas Episcopal Church in Encino. Cut into $5,000 slab of bronze, doors took Van Wolf one and one half years working 12 hours a day to complete. Thirteen panels showing church sacraments are hewn in high relief on doors. Van Wolf considers door culmination of life's works." The doors, dedicated in 1957, represent people relating to God through the Christian sacraments: holy orders (directly below arch), baptism (top left), confirmation (middle left), holy Eucharist (bottom left), matrimony (top right), penance (middle right), holy unction (bottom right). Van Wolf maintained a studio in his home at 14101 Chandler Boulevard in Van Nuys.; See images #001120693 through #001120697 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print :b&w ;26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
00120697 ValleyÂ Times Collection HCNVT_d024_f22_i12 CARL0005392281 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/53791
Van Wolf, Henry--1898-1982 Sculptors--California--Los Angeles Artists--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Bronze doors--California--Los Angeles Sacraments in art Sculpture--California--Los Angeles Canoga Park (Los Angeles, Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs