This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This September 5, 1946, photograph shows the Thomson-Diggs warehouse resting on the southwest corner of Third and R Streets. Founded in 1900, the business was a hardware wholesaler with an impressive geographic reach throughout California and points within Oregon and Nevada. The pictured four-story structure was built in 1912 for a cost of 100,000 dollars. One of the more novel features of the building – designed by Cuffs and Diggs - was the ability of trains to enter the building through a sour to load and unload. In 1940, the company invested another 100,000 dollars to expand east, toward Fourth Street, from the pictured location in order to increase its inventory and meet the possibility of finding new markets by boat transportation.