Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
This was the first Brown Derby Restaurant, built in 1926 and generally referred to as the "Wilshire Brown Derby." Designed in part by J.R. Davidson, the "derby" measured 28 feet in diameter and 17 1/2 feet in height; this was the only one of the four restaurant buildings that resembled a bowler hat. First it was located at 3427 Wilshire Boulevard, across the street from the Ambassador Hotel, but was later moved one block over to 3347 Wilshire Boulevard. In 1975, it was closed and sold. After the restaurant was demolished in 1980, the shell of the hat-shaped dome was restored and incorporated into the design of the Brown Derby Plaza, a strip mall at 3377 Wilshire Boulevard. Exterior view of the Original Brown Derby on Wilshire at Alexandria. The patio area, filled with patrons, is visible at right. Three women wearing hats stand near the front entrance. Palm trees frame the photograph. Photograph taken April 27, 1939.
1 photographic print :b&w Photographic prints
00008672 Works Progress Administration Collection WPA 4046-B 4x5 CARL0000010122 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/1779
Brown Derby Restaurant (Los Angeles, Calif.) Restaurants--California--Los Angeles Mimetic architecture--California--Los Angeles Women--California--Los Angeles Sidewalks--California--Los Angeles Umbrellas--California--Los Angeles Palms--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles Wilshire Boulevard (Los Angeles, Calif.) Works Progress Administration Collection photographs