Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Founded by father Fermi´n Lasue´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La Misio~n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. Now, the second floor is used for storage. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church. View of the Convento colonnade, or archway, of San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission. Photograph shows the length of the colonnade, arches, wood beams, and decorative shadows on the floor. The road that would eventually become El Camino Real is visible through the archway on the right. San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.; For a similar view of the colonnade (same angle), see #00081919.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00081926 Security Pacific National Bank Collection Missions-San Fernando Rey de Espan~a.; S-007-381 4x5 CARL0000081328 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112323
San Fernando, Rey de Espan~a (Mission : San Fernando, Calif.) Missions, Spanish--California--Los Angeles Arches--California--Los Angeles Mission Hills (Los Angeles, Calif.) El Camino Real (Calif.)