For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail email@example.com National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. firstname.lastname@example.org
“St. Andrew’s Church Dalhousie, Punjab.” View of four indigenous men, two of them are pulling a rickshaw. In the background is St. Andrew’s Church. St. John’s Church was the first church in the town of Dalhousie and was built by the Church of England St. Andrew’s Church was later built by the Church of Scotland in 1903. Dalhousie was established as a British summer retreat and sanatorium in 1854 and named after the then British Viceroy in India. It is built on five hills and located on the western edge of the Dhauladhar mountain range of the Himalayas. It is considered a gateway to the Chamba district and the city of Chamba lies to the north. The missions established Churches in Dalhousie to administer to the summer residents and to reach the indigenous people in the region. The Chamba mission was established, in 1863, by William Ferguson (1821-1904).