Caption: "Officers Quarters -- Fort Winfield Scott," c. 1912. Shows a row of multi-story homes along a landscaped street. Fort Winfield Scott was a coastal artillery post at the San Francisco Presidio. Originally named Fort Point, it was part of an effort by the U.S. government to protect the Golden Gate, entrance to the San Francisco Bay. Built between 1853-1861, the fort included emplacements for 141 guns but never fired a weapon in defense of the Bay. Its name was officially changed in 1882 to Fort Winfield Scott. This only lasted four years, until 1886 when the fort was officially downgraded to a sub-post of the San Francisco Presidio and the name discontinued. It was resurrected in 1912, with the establishment of a coastal artillery fortification at the Presidio, called, once again, Fort Winfield Scott.