Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
TitleÂ supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Founded by father FermiÂ´n LasueÂ´n on September 8, 1797 in Mission Hills, Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a (originally La MisioÂ´n del Sen~or Fernando, Rey de Espan~a) is located on the former settlement of Encino Rancho. It was the seventeenth mission built in Alto California. It was built in a quadrangle, similar to other missions, in which the church makes up one corner. The Convento stands apart from the quadrangle; it took 13 years to construct and was completed in 1822. Most noted for its 21 Roman arches, it is the largest two-story adobe structure in California. The adobe chapel, which was built and blessed in December 1806, was damaged by the destructive earthquake of 1812 and a new church was completed in 1818. In 1845, Governor PiÂ´o Pico declared the Mission buildings for sale and in 1846, made Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a his headquarters. San Fernando's church became a working church again in 1923. In 1971, a large earthquake damaged the church again and it had to be completely rebuilt. The repairs were completed in 1974. The Convento Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 - Building #88002147. And in 1999, the entire Mission San Fernando Rey de Espan~a was added to the National Register of Historic Places as well - Building #71001076. It has also been dedicated as California Historic Landmark #157. It continues to serve as a parish church. Close-up view of a bell marker for El Camino Real. Signs below the bell read: "El Camino Real - [arrow pointing left] Mission San Fernando 18 - Auto Club of So. Cal." The one below reads: "El Camino Real - Los Angeles Plaza 7 [arrow pointing right]". The location where this bell marker stands is not known. The placing of markers (bells) for Camino Real began in 1904. San Fernando Rey de Espan~a Mission is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
1 photographic print :b&w ;15 x 11 cm. Photographic prints
00081885 Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection; N-006-530 8x10 CARL0000081434 http://18.104.22.168/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/36024
Streets--California--Los Angeles Bells--California--Los Angeles Signs and signboards--California--Los Angeles Historical markers--California--Los Angeles El Camino Real (Calif.) Schultheis Collection photographs